Thursday 4 February 2010

Anything Ross can do

This is in direct response to the post Mr. Ross Dryden just posted on his blog (look in my followers to find it). He decided to list his top 5 favourite songs of all time, and now I will be doing the same! Please keep in mind that my music taste changes with the wind so these are merely my favourite songs at this current time, it usually changes every couple of months!

In no particular order...

Hoppipolla - Sigur Rós

This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful songs ever written. No other song showcases Sigur Ros' astonishing music in quite this way, despite the numerous other pieces of art they have created with their instruments. I still remember the day I first listened to this song all the way through, walking home with my headphones in, through the woods on a gorgeously sunny day. I honestly nearly cried at the crescendo at about 2:30 in. The emotions that this song bring up will stay with me for the rest of my life. (Also see - Ara Batur from með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust, the moment when the gong is smashed along with the choir is just unbelievable)

Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan

This is just Dylan at his best. I won't lie and pretend to be a huge Dylan fan, but you can't argue with this song. Unlike some other songs from the man, SHB manages to be fairly catchy and easy to listen to, along with it's insanely witty and biting lyrics. This is why, lyrically, Dylan is such a massive influence on me. Why write a song with no meaning? Why waste your time? This is a perfect protest song in the sense that it's subtle, but so clear. I'll show anyone who says they don't like Dylan this song to try and persuade them otherwise. Crowning glory - Lennon said that he didn't think he could write a song to contend with this.

The Beatles

Okay, now this was a hard decision. Obviously a Beatles song is going to be in here, but which one?? With so many to choose from I honestly have no idea where to go. We Can Work It Out jumps at me, because for me it shows the transition from a catchy rock band into a more psychedelic and adventurous group. But then there's Taxman, Drive My Car, A Day In The Life, Across The Universe and SO MANY MORE!! So I'm going to go a little left-field and choose one that has meant a lot to me recently...

The End

Obviously not the greatest Beatles song ever written, but The End really was the end. It is technically the last Beatles song on record. Coming at the end of Abbey Road (an amazing album) it gives you everything. The beginning - with the sharp guitars and "Oh Yeah's!" of John and George, the middle - with Ringo's sudden burst of a drum solo(?!?!?!?!) and finally, descending into Paul's trademark staccato piano break. And what better way to end The Beatles than with that line - "And, in the end, the love you take/ Is equal to the love you make"? Finally spiralling into that beautiful orchestration courtesy of Mr Martin. They took a hell of a lot of love, and they gave a shed-load of it back to us all. Perfection.

New Born - Muse

New Born encapsulates Muse. It's not the prettiest song they've written, or the most complex, but it gives the listener everything they need. The piano intro, that riff (Oh God... that riff!) the HUGE chorus and insane guitar solo(s). This song also illustrates Muse's desire not to conform - being the first track on an album they were told to make "radio-friendly" to take the American market. Immediately we get Matt's falsetto piercing the gorgeous piano-tinkling (his voice being just one of the things their previous record label had asked them to tone down) and then we get the bass blown out of our speakers by the sheer savagery of the riff that kicks the song into life. Tone down? Can you imagine what Muse would be like if they weren't larger than life? I shudder to think.

And finally...

You Keep It All In - The Beautiful South

Yes, I know it's not a cool song. Neither is it a cool band. But The Beautiful South were a huge part of my childhood, being pretty much the only band that my parents ever listened to. I could have chosen any song from their back catalogue but You Keep It All In just jumps out at me as being one of my favourites, and it's a great tune too. The witty interchanges between Briana Corrigan and Dave Hemingway gave the song that perfect Beautiful South style that made so many of their songs great to listen to. The idea that the two lead singers were conversing through the song was amazing to me in my younger years. I think I need to thank both The Beautiful South and Queen for at least making me aware of music during my first 15 years on earth. Without them I don't know how I would have ever experienced the joy that I feel now when I hear a new band/an old band that I love.

That was fun! There's so many more I want to talk about though...


No comments:

Post a Comment